Application Form for DCN Internet Tools
For local Davis and Yolo County nonprofit groups.
PLEASE NOTEYou must read the information page at http://crank.dcn.davis.ca.us/dcn/about/committees/rac
before submitting this form. It will save you time if you understand the DCN tools and the procedures for approval of your request. Then, submit the form below with your best assessment of your needs.
Please scroll down to the help section at the end of this page for explanations of the various resources available.
Definitions & ExplanationsWhat Is A DCN "SimpleSite"?
DCN's SimpleSite is for groups wishing to build a website without needing to know about HTML coding. This option provides a group with a free, "SimpleSite template" that has an <http://groups.dcn.org/yourgroupname> web address, a user ID and a password. If your organization has an Internet domain name it can be linked to the SimpleSite.
Content (text, images or video) is entered into the SimpleSite via a web interface.
Formatting the text content is accomplished using the WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor that is similar to the text formatting techniques used by word processors like Microsoft Word.
- What Is A Mailman Mailing List?
This service is provided by DCN using the Mailman software that is already installed on a DCN server - not on your computer. E-mailing lists are used for either announcements (replies go only to the sender) or discussions (replies go to everyone subscribed to the list.) Subscriber names and email addresses are not made visible in the List's email messages. Your organization's List has its own email address and messages sent to that address go automatically to everyone on the List. Your List can be set up in a variety of useful ways:
- One person is authorized to subscribe (add) or unsubscribe (delete) addresses;
- Or, people can add or delete their own names (but nobody else's);
- A special, welcoming and informational message can be sent automatically to every new subscriber;
- An automatic helpful footer can be attached to every message;
- The message can be formatted with color and images;
- Messages can be saved automatically to an accessible archive;
- ... and more!
Mailman List management is not hard. Your administrator will simply need to be comfortable working with putting information into online forms. The alternative is a DCN Majordomo List obtained for a small monthly fee from Omsoft in Davis.
- What Is A DCN Calendar?
- Groups need to apply to the RAC AND attend a DCN Calendar
workshop. This can happen in that order or in the reverse. The calendar provides a place for an organization to publish its own
events on a calendar of its own on the DCN server. Certain of the
organization's events can be marked to appear on the group's calendar
AND on a community-wide
calendar. The management is by web interface.
- What Is Web Team Help?
- This is provided in several ways. Team leaders may contact the Web Team Chair to:
a) ask a specific question
b) arrange to attend a Web Team meeting at which they can ask their questions or talk over their needs with one or more team members.
- Free classes are provided by DCN in the use of its tools. These classes are free but require registration. All users of DCN resource tools are urged to attend these classes as often as they wish
More About DCN's Program for Nonprofits
1. Eligible projects are those that:
- a) Are of local Davis, Yolo County regional and beneficial character.
- b) Intend to maintain the same intent and character as when first approved.
- d) Involve updating and other activity during each year of hosting.
- e) Are of a not for profit nature.
- f) Are non-political (i.e. do not endorse a candidate for political office nor a local or national ballot issue.)
2. DCN does not edit or censor any community content hosted on its Web site
3. If the ongoing project's file storage space, traffic and bandwidth become an issue the project owners will be notified and some steps might need to be taken to ease the pressure.
4. (501(c)(3) status is not essential but groups must be clearly of a not for profit nature.
5. The RAC can provide a DCN Web Calendar to a political group but not other free resources. Such groups requiring a Mailman List can apply for a List at $5 per month at http://www2.dcn.org/dcn/network-services/hosting
Davis Community Network purposes and goals that relate to the use of its resource tools: (selected extracts)
Purposes and Scope:
The Davis Community Network, a non-profit regional organization established in 1994, creates public- benefit partnerships with government, education, business and the community in order to:
- Ensure that people in the region benefit from opportunities the information age brings.
- Promote access to electronic information and communication resources for all, protecting individual privacy and supporting free expression.
- Develop and maintain public information resources that build a sense of community and reinforce democratic ideals.
- Shared knowledge is a foundation of democratic society.
- Information technology can enhance civic discourse and thus support democratic values and practice.
- Universal and affordable access to information resources and tools is essential to meaningful, equal, public participation.
- Increase and improve the ability of individuals and organizations to access, utilize and contribute to information necessary for effective participation in community and civic life.
- Ensure the on-line availability of public-domain information.
- Promote cultural preservation and enrichment through the use of appropriate telecommunication technologies.
- Increase civic participation in democracy.
- Assist teachers, parents and students in using the Internet to enhance education.
- Serve as a vehicle for noncommercial communication and publishing.