[1st-mile-nm] Freedom To Connect Conference report

Steve Ross editorsteve at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 14:59:37 PDT 2007

The business is tough enough without nutty statements like
"why isn't the bandwidth the same price everywhere?" It's
not the same price [duh] because:

1. Some places have competition.
2. The places that HAVE competition tend to be places where
it is easier/cheaper to build a network or where the
customers are easier to sell to. Building and selling costs
money. Really.
3. Some places with state networks (Illinois) had their
state politicos bought by people in private enterprise who
said, yes, you can put in a network... and we'll even
sell/rent the intercity fiber to do it... but not if you
compete with us."
4. Just because you can build a fiber line to a school
doesn't mean you can hock up the same fiber to 500 nearby
houses, free, or even set up a wireless mesh free.

And WiFi provides 1 Mbps, sometimes, for $10 a month (or
even free in some places). It isn't secure. It isn't
scalable. Nice amenity. Doesn't solve the core problem. Why
do otherwise normal, breathing, thinking human beings
promote WiFi and WiMAX as replacements for real broadband?
Yes, in some rural areas, WiMAX point to point bridges
network gaps... and with only a few people sharing one
radio, they can get 10-20 Mbps with a directional antenna on
a short jump. We just did a story of one example, Xittel in
Quebec -- 66% provincial capital subsidy, which is great.

But that's not what they talk about. There are mayors (and
I've tried to talk to them) who think everyone on a city
street will get 70 Mbps if they install WiMAX!!!

Why promote such inane stupidity?

Steve Ross