[1st-mile-nm] OEDC Report

Richard Lowenberg rl at radlab.com
Sun Apr 29 11:11:49 PDT 2007

Thanks to Carroll Cagle for posting a synopsis of recent OEDC Broadband
reporting.

Though the U.S. is woefully behind in 'real broadband' deployment and
services, it is worth looking at the entire global snapshot that the
report provides.    A networked society is by its nature, simultaneously
local and global.   Having a better sense of our globally developing
'information society', can help us learn how to realistically grow our
1st-mile networks and services.    There's lots of need and room for
opportunity in the U.S.    However, I believe that 'early adopter'
communities and states will have to take the lead and set examples, before
our expectations for appropriate federal initiatives are realized.    I'm
still hoping that the State of New Mexico may take overt steps in the
right direction.   If so, it will require the leadership of many of us on
this list.

The OEDC ( Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development)
Broadband Statistics to December 2006 Report is directly accessible at
www.oecd.org/sti/ict/broadband

Richard Lowenberg

New Mexico Broadband Initiative
www.1st-mile.com/newmexico