[1st-mile-nm] Ah, those nasty Frenchies. Beating us on broadband. Next it will be how they prepare potatoes

Steve Ross editorsteve at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 14:09:47 PDT 2007

Krugman is right, but the story is really complicated. Until
late last year, France was committed to ADSL, topping out at
less than 20 Mbps and typically 12.

Not enough to deliver HDTV.

But Free and Illiad showed the way, and in a matter of
months France Telecom committed to fiber to the home. Quick
reaction to a changing economic landscape. remember,
Verizon's 18-million-household US build alone would cover
all of France with FTTH easily capable of 200 Mbps (if they
chose to market it).

We, on the other hand, live in a country that can't figure
out how to issue passports in a timely manner or rescue
people from floods, let alone figure out a broadband policy.

BTW, Corning yesterday announced an amazing new fiber --
VERY bendable, and much cheaper than others in its class,
both to buy and to deploy. Verizon stock went wild. The
technical press is buzzing -- I did hours of reporting on it
yesterday. The business part of CNN did a little story that
covered the bases. Fair enough. Corning issued a minimal
press release to keep from being accused of violating
insider trading laws.

I didn't see a single newspaper article. Nada. Zip. Yet no
development in the past year will affect the newspaper
business more (by expanding the reach of broadband).

Come to think of it, the passport people and newspaper
management seem to be cut from the same cloth.

Google corning nanostructure to get more info.

Steven S. Ross
Editor-in-Chief
Broadband Properties
steve at broadbandproperties.com