[1st-mile-nm] Rio Rancho Terminates Wireless Contract

peter pete at ideapete.com
Tue Sep 25 13:24:32 PDT 2007

This is a classic example of what happens when you try any project
without a good business plan.

I first met Tyler ( Not Tony ) Van Houwelingen just after the project
started and had a conversation with him regarding the business
feasibility of his endeavor and the lack of true testing that he had
carried out to demonstrate whether or not he could provide good service
at reasonable cost to tens of clients let alone the thousands he was
predicting especially in the face of competition from cable and Qwest
who could give away the same service he was providing in a bundled deal
to wipe him out if he ever got his numbers above 500. He commented that
" Qwest and Cable are inconsequential and  not a factor "

When I showed him test results of the abysmal service that 802.11 and
even 802.16 has experienced especially through all buildings and
structures emphasizing the major problems that Faux Adobe houses with
chicken wire underlay turning buildings into mini Faraday cages he
shrugged the problem of as non problematical. Add the terrain factors
and he was dead meat from the get go

His business plan consisted of " Wireless is great and is the future "
and had done 0 research or any financial or project due diligence after
a previous company had withdrawn from RR judging the project unfeasible
without massive RR City support which should have been a major red flag
to anyone.

The project he consistently referred in Michigan was completed by his
father at 4 times the cost the Tyler was quoting ( with its major
clients in a harbor on boats with full line of site just like RR right (
:  )

Bluntly he was a young kid way out of his depth riding a wave of hype.

Taken together with the Sandoval Broadband project and Azul( did not
)star I would bet that over $8m in man power and financing has been
wasted and that would have provided a huge tract of fiber really moving
Rio Rancho into the future

I personally think his plan was to suck in the city to buy his project
out ( Like some poor locals did ) to save embarrassment for all, but the
city manager he was playing with departed

The very good news about this projects collapse, and the pending one of
its infamous sister county project, is that now Fiber through the city
will come up for serious consideration

Maybe the council should send the bill to Intel who promoted this
project in the first place

Again a very classic example of " Do It Right THE FIRST TIME  = Fiber +
Fiber + Fiber  " all else is pure imitation

( : ( :  Pete

--

Peter Baston

*IDEAS*