[1st-mile-nm] More Fiber News: Might We Get Lucky?

Richard Lowenberg rl at radlab.com
Fri Sep 28 22:13:27 PDT 2007

Fiber bandwidth and pricing news from abroad, and on Verizon's blazing
hot services.
rl
------

I'm feeling lucky: Hongkong fiber 100 Mbps $48 per month

<http://www.muniwireless.com/article/view/6442/>

Actually I would feel lucky about super fast broadband if I lived in
Hongkong where people get 100 Mbps for $48.50 and 1 Gbps for $215.40.
Here in the Netherlands we are nowhere near that. Our Amsterdam
Citynet FTTH project has not even reached the city center where I live.

But other people are even less lucky according to this article in
Gizmodo <http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/connectivity/hong-kong-fiber-
optic-rates-prove-verizons-fios-is-a-rip+off-303358.php> which says
Verizon in the US is "aggressively trying to sell the country on
their FiOS fiber optic web connection packages, which range from $40
per month for 5Mbps to 30Mbps for $180 (extra for TV and phone
service!)."

UPDATE

10 Mbps symmetrical service is the new dial-up.
Dirk van der Woude (Amsterdam) reports that in Hongkong, 10 Mbps
symmetrical service is being phased out. Too slow.

Richard Lowenberg
P.O.Box 8001, Santa Fe, NM 87504
505-989-9110,  505-603-5200 cell

New Mexico Broadband Initiative