[1st-mile-nm] First Post

Harris, Gary, DCA Gary.Harris at state.nm.us
Wed Feb 13 06:51:41 PST 2008

Greetings-

I am always anxious to read the commentary and thoughtful postings on this list. I am a librarian and technologist who wants to see to it that New Mexicans have access to a statewide broadband network that runs on a statewide backbone. Whether the circuits are leased, owned or otherwise made available through local arrangements, I believe the infrastructure needs to be managed from a central, non-telco, entity.

I am relatively new to the state. I lived and worked in New Mexico in the late 70s. I attended UNM briefly during the same period. Since that time, I have visited the state many times, usual on an annual basis. For the past decade, I was employed by the University of Missouri System. While there, I was part of a team that helped to build a statewide resource sharing network for virtually every academic library in the state. While the project had a positive outcome, it could not have been undertaken or accomplished without the assistance of an organization called MOREnet (and the financial support of the state).

MOREnet is, for lack of a better term, a super ISP, affiliated with the UM System. The organization works with telcos and others to supply broadband connectivity to institutions of higher education (public and private), schools (K-12), and libraries throughout the state. The result of this effort is a high speed in-state backbone that is managed by MOREnet staff up to the hundreds of routers that terminate at the various participating institutions. Institutions pay for this advanced connectivity, but at a price that is usually less than they could afford to pay on their own. The state also contributes significant dollars to the enterprise.

Sorry for the long note, but I cannot help but wonder why we cannot do something similar in New Mexico. I know it works, and with a few tweaks here and there, I think the concept described above could be expanded to go the 1st Mile in NM.

I am not a telecommunications expert or a networking guru, so please forgive my ignorance, but I know success when I see it. For those of you out there who may already know this story, I apologize for retelling here. My intent (as a newbie) is to find out more about what all of you think we can do to help the people of NM.

For more information on what I am writing about, see the following sites:

http://www.more.net/about/index.html
http://mobius.missouri.edu

Gary L. Harris

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including all attachments is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited unless specifically provided under the New Mexico Inspection of Public Records Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of this message. -- This email has been scanned by the Sybari - Antigen Email System.