[1st-mile-nm] We Need A Broadband Competition Act, Not A Net Neutrality Act

Richard Lowenberg rl at radlab.com
Wed Feb 27 10:18:18 PST 2008

>From the Techdirt Blog
by Mike Masnick
Tue, Feb 26th 2008

We Need A Broadband Competition Act, Not A Net Neutrality Act

Andy Kessler has put together a fantastic editorial for the Wall Street
Journal explaining why Markey's attempt at legislating Net Neutrality
won't do any good. As we pointed out when Markey first announced it, this
plan seems to be focused on the symptoms, not the real problem (and, no,
just having the FCC step in to slap the wrists of neutrality violators
doesn't help either). The real problem, of course, is the lack of real
competition in the broadband market. Kessler suggests that we shouldn't be
focused on Net Neutrality, but should wipe out the bogus regulations that
are currently restricting competition in the broadband market. That means
not going through a painful localized franchising process or making it a
pain to get the rights of way necessary to install equipment necessary for
next generation broadband. It means actually opening up the market to
competition, not creating subsidies and regulations that mean only the
incumbents can play. Not that politicians are about to do anything like
this, but it sure would be nice.

Here's the link to Andy Kessler's WSJ Editorial.
	It is based on this week's hearings on Comcast's 'restrictive
content management practices' being held at Harvard.   His views on open
broadband competition, rather than net neutrality legislation, is right;
his understanding of how to get there is limited.   rl

http://www.andykessler.com/andy_kessler/2008/02/wsj-internet-wr.html

Richard Lowenberg
P.O.Box 8001, Santa Fe, NM 87504
505-989-9110,  505-603-5200 cell