[1st-mile-nm] Bandwidth - How Much is Enough?

Steve Ross editorsteve at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 18:35:41 PDT 2008

Qwest, AT&T and all large cable companies have to be in
haggle mode. The "all you can eat for a fixed price" model
doesn't work if your network can't handle the demand -- a
demand that Verizon and 600 small companies that
collectively serve a quarter of the fiber in the US have
helped create. A $10 French fry will sell if there is a
shortage of French fries.

This is not entirely obvious, but the academics and network
builders seem to be coming to the conclusion that to make
the most money, you allow a multiplicity of specialized
services -- meaning services only perhaps 1 to 5 percent (or
less) of the customers connected might want -- to "ride your
network," and that no one company can maximize profits with
a walled garden. The garden's owner will do well by handling
billing and QoS issues, and taking 30-50% of the gross. Even
Verizon can't think of everything, and originators of things
like the I-See-Pet and remote piano teaching software find
pure web marketing too costly.

The "triple play" services become increasingly commoditized,
  so although everyone will eventually take them, there's
not going to be much margin. If you insist on keeping the
price high without delivering better/more services, sooner
or later someone will overbuild you, or (perhaps worse)
re-regulate you.

Also, companies like Verizon are already talking about
renting access on muni nets, and the nets of smaller ILECs
and CLECs. People will want reciprocity over time.

Hard to imagine in "Qwest country," but Verizon last month
started overbuilding three AT&T U-verse communities in Texas
with FiOS -- 60,000 homes to be passed. They only need to
sign up 12,000 to make money.

Mark Gaynor, a Boston University prof, has a book on this
that is particularly accessible to non-geeks
(Addison-Wesley). we had him write for us in December (see
www.broadbandproperties.com/2007issues/december07/Dec_EcoDevopment.pdf)

Steven S. Ross
Editor-in-Chief
Broadband Properties