[1st-mile-nm] FCC publishes list of services eligible for E-Rate

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.com
Tue Nov 25 16:18:23 PST 2008

http://tinyurl.com/5vgddd

FCC 08-265
Released: November 21, 2008

RELEASE OF FUNDING YEAR 2009 ELIGIBLE SERVICES LIST FOR
SCHOOLS AND LIBRARIES UNIVERSAL SERVICE MECHANISM

CC Docket No. 02-6
By this public notice, the Commission releases the funding year 2009 Eligible
Services List (ESL) for the schools and libraries universal service support
mechanism (commonly known as E-rate) pursuant to section 54.522 of the
Commission?s rules.   On July 31, 2008, the Commission released a public
notice seeking comment on the ESL proposed by the universal service fund?s
administrator, the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC), for funding
year 2009, as required by section 54.522.   We decline to adopt any of the
changes to the ESL proposed by USAC.  As such, the funding year 2009 ESL we
release today is the same as the funding year 2008 ESL.
In addition, section 54.522 requires the Commission to issue a public notice
attaching the final ESL for the upcoming funding year at least 60 days prior to
the opening of the funding window for the schools and libraries universal
service program.   We authorize USAC to open the annual application filing
window no earlier than November 25, 2008.  Because the filing window will open
less than 60 days after the release of this public notice, we therefore waive
on our own motion section 54.522 of the Commission's rules requiring
publication of the ESL at least 60 days prior to the commencement of the filing
window.   We conclude that this action will facilitate the application process
for E-rate beneficiaries applying for discounts for funding year 2009.

For further information, contact Cara Voth, James Bachtell or Gina Spade in the
Telecommunications Access Policy Division, Wireline Competition Bureau at (202)
418-7400, TTY (202) 418-0484.

Action taken by the Commission on November 21, 2008:  Chairman Kevin J. Martin
and Commissioners Michael J. Copps, Jonathan S. Adelstein, Deborah Taylor Tate
and Robert M. McDowell.

--
Richard Lowenberg
1st-Mile Institute