[1st-mile-nm] Information request on wireless reliability and frequency conflicts

Bob Knight bob at bobknight.net
Fri Dec 19 17:35:09 PST 2008

You need to look at the WISPA archives relative to Motorola Canopy.
While it is the largest deployed base in that community, it also is
considered to be the largest problem interference-wise, at least in the
2.4 (not 2.6) Ghz band. In our area, though, they're using 900 Mhz.

In 2.4, there are 11 channels (in the US, at least). Ideally (and
nowadays, this is far from ideal given the spectrum pollution), one
wants things 5 channels apart, especially when hidden node problems are
anticipated. The problem is that hidden node is going to be a problem
pretty much no matter what measures you take.

WiMax can be used in various bands from 2-66 Ghz. 2.5 and 3.5 are
licensed spectrum and it can be used in 5.8. It seems to be suited to
700  Mhz as well.

Our experience on 5.8 is very positive. We use it for our backhauls. One
nice thing about this spectrum allocation is that the channels are
non-overlapping. Our backhaul sink for the DS-3 has 5 different links
coming in with no interference.

Admittedly, we are rural. But I guarantee that if the Santa Fe spectrum
in 5.8 (or Eldo for that matter) were crowded, we'd see it. And we don't.

So where are you seeing problems?

Bob