[1st-mile-nm] NM Tech Council Event: Thurs., Feb 11, in Alb.

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.com
Sat Feb 6 14:57:34 PST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <Eric at nmtechcouncil.org>
Date: Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:35 AM
Subject: Broadband Stimulus Session Next Tech Thursday (2/11)

Please Join NMTC for our next Tech Thursday Event:
Broadband Update with Richard Lowenberg (2/11)

As part of our mission to build, connect and promote technology business, the
New Mexico Tech Council supports efforts to increase broadband access
throughout our state. With the second round of Recovery Act Broadband funding
imminent, we're pleased to announce a special Tech Thursday (NEXT THURSDAY,
FEBRUARY 11TH) with the 1st-Mile Institute's Richard Lowenberg.

If you'd like to attend or would like more information, please visit:
http://www.nmtechcouncil.org/event/broadband

>From the Broadband USA website:

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) appropriated $7.2 billion and
directed the Department of Agriculture's Rural Utilities Service (RUS) and The
Department of Commerce's National Telecommunications Information Administration
(NTIA) to expand broadband access to unserved and underserved communities across
the U.S., increase jobs, spur investments in technology and infrastructure, and
provide long-term economic benefits.

The result is the RUS Broadband Initiatives Program (BIP) and the NTIA Broadband
Technology Opportunities Program (BTOP).

BIP will make loans and grants for broadband infrastructure projects in rural
areas. BTOP will provide grants to fund broadband infrastructure, public
computer centers and sustainable broadband adoption projects.

Richard Lowenberg has been a leader in efforts to expand broadband access in New
Mexico and a key figure in identifying our state's capabilities and needs. He is
the founder of the 1st-Mile Institute (New Mexico ?Broadband for All?
Intitiative) and a recipient (with the New Mexico State Library and partners)
of the first NM Broadband Stimulus Grant.  He is the Senior Broadband Planner
for Design Nine, Inc., the contracted planner for statewide ?broadband
stimulus? proposals.  His 1st-Mile organization (http://www.1st-mile.com/)
and its mailing list are perhaps the best single source for information and
discussion of issues related to improving broadband access in our state.

This session will discuss broadband mapping results, lessons learned from the
first round of funding proposals ways we can move New Mexico forward.

Cost:

NMTC Members: $15 each

Non-Members: $25 each (remember, individual memberships are FREE!)

To register, visit: http://www.nmtechcouncil.org/event/broadband

Note: Member companies and organizations are given one free ticket to each
monthly membership event (and sponsors may have more). Please check with your
company's representative for more information. (but individual memberships are
still FREE)

Come join colleagues from New Mexico's tech community for a wide range of topics
in a casual setting.

NMTC Tech Thursdays are the council's monthly membership event, running the
second Thursday of each month from 3:30 - 5:00 PM at O'Niells Pub Meeting
Room4310 Central SE, just east of Nob Hill by the corner of Central and
Washington.

--
Richard Lowenberg
1st-Mile Institute