[1st-mile-nm] Two More NM Awards

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.com
Thu Mar 4 08:48:27 PST 2010

Congratulations to the Pueblo of San Ildefonso and to Penasco Valley Telephone
Coop.
RL

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 4, 2010
CONTACT: Mark Nicastre, (202) 503-8988

Rep. Luján Applauds Broadband Investments in Rural New Mexico

Washington, DC ? Today, Rep. Ben Ray Luján applauded investments in rural
broadband in New Mexico made through the American Recovery and Reinvestment
Act. The investments were announced today by the U.S. Department of
Agriculture. Pueblo de San Ildefonso will receive a $632,225 loan and a
$632,225 grant to serve 2,405 households, while the Penasco Valley Telephone
Cooperative will receive a $4,818,607 loan and a $4,770,660 grant to expand
fiber and wireless technology.

"Broadband technology connects communities, helps businesses grow, and provides
students with the opportunity to learn new skills. As we expand broadband
technology, we must ensure that our rural communities have access," said
Luján. "It is encouraging that the Recovery Act is making this important
investment in broadband technology, especially in our rural and tribal
communities.?

According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, more than $254.6 million will
be invested in 22 projects across the country. An additional $13.1 million in
private investment will be provided in matching funds. Congress provided USDA
$2.5 billion in Recovery Act funding to assist applicants to bring broadband
services to rural unserved and underserved communities. To date, $895.6 million
has been provided to support 55 broadband projects in 29 states or territories.

Two New Mexico broadband projects will receive funding:
·         Pueblo de San Ildefonso: TewaCom Broadband Initiative (TBI), Phase
1-Upper Rio Grande Valley Project; $632,225 loan and $632,225 grant. The
funding will enable the Pueblo to expand service to 2,405 households.

·         Penasco Valley Telephone Cooperative Inc.: The Penasco Valley
Telephone (PVT) Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier (ILEC) Project; $4,818,607
loan and $4,770,660 grant. The funding will provide high-speed broadband to
unserved areas in the ILEC territory through fiber and wireless technology.

--
Richard Lowenberg
1st-Mile Institute