[1st-mile-nm] Broadband op-ed in today's Albuquerque Journal

Christopher Mitchell christopher at newrules.org
Tue Jul 27 10:44:08 PDT 2010

Fascinating response:
"Let all of you ignorant unwashed masses let the
government to tell you the best way to operate everything. If you'll just
quit resisting, we'll have everything running as efficiently and smoothly as
the DMV and as fiscally sound as Social Security."

Of course, social security continues to make the payments it is
supposed to whereas millions of people are delaying retirement
(thereby throwing the whole workforce out of whack) because the
government allowed the banks to lend "other peoples' money" in
extremely risky ways and the resulting economic crash killed
retirement savings.

An oversimplification, yes, but broadly true.

Clearly there is merit to both government and private companies - the
question is how to balance them.  When it comes to Telecom, I would
like to see the infrastructure owned by the public and run on a common
carrier basis.  With robust competition on such a setup, fewer
government regulations (like network neutrality) are required.  There
are benefits to everyone but it will lower the profits of extremely
powerful telecom companies, so we see very strong resistance to an
approach that would benefit probably 99% of society more than the
current system.

Oh, and for the record - I can go to the DMV, wait in line, and return
home faster than I can solve a problem with Comcast using any of their
methods.

Christopher Mitchell
Director, Telecommunications as Commons Initiative
Institute for Local Self-Reliance
http://www.newrules.org/information/
http://www.muninetworks.org
612-379-3815 x209