[1st-mile-nm] Wealthy suburbs get best broadband deals; D.C., rural areas lag behind | Investigative Reporting Workshop

Steve Ross editorsteve at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 19:02:42 PST 2011

The study is worthless. There's a lot more to service than Mbps download
speed, and Verizon would not break out DSL vs FiOS customers. DSL is,
however, more common in densely populated areas -- which means low income
around DC -- and Verizon has committed to bringing FiOS to DC so the problem
is self-correcting..

Bottom line: what they THINK they are measuring is a secondary effect. I
have a choice between Comcast and Verizon DSL. Verizon DSL is a third the
price and much more reliable. And upload speed (very important to me) is
faster with Verizon. But Comcast download speed is 3 times greater (actual,
not promised). So I go with Verizon. AU says I'm being overcharged.....

--
Steve Ross
201-456-5933 mobile
editorsteve at gmail.com