[1st-mile-nm] USTelecom Blog: New FCC Data Support USTelecom Non-Dominance Petition

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.com
Sat Jan 19 14:37:54 PST 2013

 From another list:

The Federal Communications Commission’s newly released report on local
phone competition lends credence to USTelecom’s recent petition asking
the FCC to declare incumbent local exchange carriers (ILECs)
non-dominant in providing switched access services.  The petition argues
that a relatively small, and rapidly declining, portion of customers use
ILEC voice services over the public switched telephone network (PSTN).
Driving the shift away from the PSTN are customers going wireless-only
or switching to interconnected Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)
services, mostly from cable operators but also, to a small degree, from
over-the-top providers (e.g., Vonage) and ILECs’ own VoIP offerings. In
the petition, we estimated that less than 40 percent of U.S. households
used switched PSTN voice service at the end of 2011 and we projected
that figure would fall to less than one-third of households by the end
of 2012.

Link to complete blog--

http://www.ustelecom.org/blog/new-fcc-data-support-ustelecom-non-dominance-petition

USTelecom is largely representative if ILECs, including a number
serving New Mexico.

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Dir.
1st-Mile Institute, 505-603-5200
Box 8001, Santa Fe, NM 87504