[1st-mile-nm] AT&T Says "The Telephone Network is Obsolete"

Marianne Granoff granoff at zianet.com
Thu Jan 24 07:51:48 PST 2013

AT&T Says "The Telephone Network is Obsolete"

Two months ago, AT&T petitioned the Federal Communications Commission
to plan for the retirement of traditional phone networks. The
petition is available at
<http://www.att.com/Common/about_us/files/pdf/fcc_filing.pdf>http://www.att.com/Common/about_us/files/pdf/fcc_filing.pdf.

"This telephone network we've grown up with is now an obsolete
platform, or at least a rapidly obsolescing platform," Hank
Hultquist, VP of AT&T's federal regulatory division, said. "It will
not be sustainable for the indefinite future. Nobody's making this
network technology anymore. It's become more and more difficult to
find spare parts for it. And it's becoming more and more difficult to
find trained technicians and engineers to work on it."

"Voice is the most efficient way to communicate," he said. "We have
had the same voice service for 80 years. The voice quality you get
when you make a call on the iPhone today is the same voice quality
Bell Laboratories thought you should have in 1933. Shift forward 80
years, we're still using the same frequency response, 300 to 3300Hz."

You can read more in the ars technica web site at
<http://goo.gl/Mlnqm>http://goo.gl/Mlnqm.

Marianne Granoff
Albuquerque, NM