[1st-mile-nm] RECAP: IS THE BROADBAND STIMULUS WORKING?

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.com
Thu Feb 28 08:14:36 PST 2013

Here's a copy of the email posting from Benton.org
on yesterday's House Committee hearing on broadband stimulus,
with links to video, agency testimonies and news reports, below.
RL

RECAP: IS THE BROADBAND STIMULUS WORKING?
[SOURCE: House of Representatives Commerce Committee]

The House Commerce Committee’s Communications and Technology
Subcommittee held a hearing examining whether taxpayers are getting
their money’s worth four years after the American Recovery and
Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA) allocated $7 billion for broadband
grants and loans. A background memo for the Subcommittee’s majority
staff highlighted that approximately $611 million of the funding
covering 42 projects has been revoked, relinquished, or suspended.
Republican members of the Subcommittee claimed throughout the hearing
that the program is rife with wasteful spending. "Promoting broadband is
a laudable goal. But there are many laudable goals," said Subcommittee
Chairman Greg Walden (R-OR). "From what we know now, the government has
spent millions on equipment it did not need and on stringing fiber to
areas that already had it." Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) questioned the
necessity of the broadband stimulus and suggested that the $2.5 billion
in unused funds should be given back to the Treasury.

Subcommittee Democrats, however, defended the spending, which is made
up of the Broadband Technology Opportunities Program (BTOP) and the
Broadband Initiatives Program (BIP). They argued that while there will
always be problems with large government programs, the broadband
stimulus has been worthwhile. "The investments made in broadband
infrastructure are having a profound impact in local communities around
the country," said Rep. Anna Eshoo (D-CA), the ranking member of the
subcommittee. "I don't really understand how any of my colleagues can
argue that providing better, faster Internet and more digital literacy
training to underserved and unserved areas of this country is something
we should criticize," Rep. Mike Doyle (R-PA) said.

Larry Strickling, the head of the National Telecommunications and
Information Administration (NTIA), which oversees BTOP, pushed back
against the Republican criticism in several testy exchanges with
lawmakers.

benton.org/node/146570 :
http://benton.org/node/146570?utm_campaign=Newsletters&utm_source=sendgrid&utm_medium=email

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Dir.