[1st-mile-nm] FCC ONAP Annual Report

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.com
Thu Mar 21 10:11:07 PDT 2013

I'm reposting this email just sent by Rob McMahon,
to the Canadian First Nations' <firstmile> email list.
I additionally recommend that those of you interested,
see:  http://www.fcc.gov/topic/native-nations
where the report noted below is also posted.
RL

--------------

Hello everyone,

Some interesting developments on indigenous broadband development in
the U.S. The Office of Native Affairs and Policy (ONAP) is housed inside
the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). According to the FCC's
website:

"Our Office of Native Affairs and Policy promotes the deployment and
adoption of communications services and technology throughout tribal
lands and Native communities. ONAP consults and coordinates with
American Indian tribes, Alaska Native villages, Native Hawaiian
organizations and other Native and Tribal entities, and is the official
FCC contact point for these activities. It also engages in work with FCC
commissioners, bureaus and offices, as well as other government
agencies, private organizations and the communications industries, to
develop and implement related FCC policies."

In March 2013, the ONAP released its first (2012) Annual Report.

* Read the ONAP Annual Report :
http://transition.fcc.gov/cgb/onap/ONAP-AnnualReport03-19-2013.pdf
* Read about the creation of ONAP :
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-300855A1.pdf

Some background on the creation of ONAP from the FCC website:

"The creation of ONAP was one of the recommendations of the National
Broadband Plan, which includes increasing access to Broadband in Indian
Country as an important goal. There are 4.1 million American Indians and
Alaska Natives in the United States and more than 565 federally
recognized Tribes with their own unique political and tribal structures.
There is minimal access to Broadband in Indian Country.  The best
evidence indicates that the broadband deployment rate on Tribal lands is
less than 10 percent, and anecdotal evidence suggests that actual usage
rates may be as low as 5 to 8 percent, compared to 65 percent
nationwide."

Best,
Rob

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Dir.