[1st-mile-nm] CIA Chief Tech Officer: Big Data Is The Future And We Own It

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.com
Thu Mar 21 16:12:45 PDT 2013

Not specific to New Mexico, but an important look at the other side of
our networked world.

You may also want to read the article "Only Connect: in the April issue
of Harpers,
discussing a related aspect of the Google Kansas City fiber networking
initiative,
which I attach here, as you need to subscribe to read the article
online.

RL

------

CIA Chief Tech Officer: Big Data Is The Future And We Own It

Michael Kelley	| Mar. 21, 2013

GigaOm

On Wednesday, the CIA's chief technology officer detailed the Agency's
vision for collecting and analyzing all of the information people put on
the Internet.

The wide-ranging presentation at GigaOM's Structure:Data conference in
New York City came two days after it was reported the spy agency is on
the verge of signing a cloud computing contract with Amazon — worth up
to $600 million over 10 years — that involves Amazon Web Services
helping the CIA build a "private cloud" filled with technologies like
big data.

After laying out what the CIA does — i.e. collect intelligence, conduct
analysis, perform covert action — CIA CTO Ira "Gus" Hunt detailed just
how the agency plans to acquire, store, and analyze digital data on a
massive scale.

"You're already a walking sensor platform," Hunt said, referring to all
of the information captured by smartphones. "You are aware of the fact
that somebody can know where you are at all times because you carry a
mobile device, even if that mobile device is turned off. You know this,
I hope? Yes? Well, you should."

In fact Hunt noted that based on the sensors in a smartphone, someone
can be identified (with 100 percent accuracy) by the way they walk —
implying that someone could be identified even when carrying someone
else's phone.

The challenge for the CIA is to find the relevance is the ocean of
information when something happens. The first step is for "data
scientists" to save and analyze all digital breadcrumbs — even the ones
people don't know they are creating (i.e. "More is always better").

"Since you can't connect dots you don't have, it drives us into a mode
of, we fundamentally try to collect everything and hang on to it
forever," Hunt said. "It is really very nearly within our grasp to be
able to compute on all human generated information."

He ends with comments about how the "inanimate is becoming sentient,"
how cognitive machines (e.g. Watson) are going to "explode upon us," and
how technology is moving faster than governments, legal systems, and
even individuals can keep up.

Check out the key slides from the presentation >

Read more:
http://www.businessinsider.com/cia-presentation-on-big-data-2013-3?op=1#ixzz2ODarsLCq

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Dir.
1st-Mile Institute, 505-603-5200