[1st-mile-nm] Is Omaha a Turning Point for CenturyLink? No.

Owen Densmore owen at backspaces.net
Sat May 4 09:29:52 PDT 2013

Interesting observation.  Isn't Century Link's strategy to build out enough
fiber to somehow also make DSL better via neighborhood hubs?

I heard something like that and know a problem they face is simply getting
into the household: no one wants more holed in the wall etc.  A wireless
1st mile for example would make sense too.

I guess the question is what is the end point in this game.  Certainly a
fiber world with several services other than just TCP/IP would be
interesting.  But the cellular folks are now getting huge data rates and I
suspect their target is the home as well as the phone.

An image I enjoy when trying to explain the "house interface" to the
community is picturing a giant pulling up my house into the air, and
looking at all that stuff that dangles back to the ground: water, sewer,
phone, and generally cable.  Hopefully cable will be replaced with a more
general wire sometime, but not for a while.  The giant is also careful to
surround the house looking for RF in/out and thereby also finds satellite,
TV/radio, cellular, and possibly wireless internet.

   -- Owen

   -- Owen