[1st-mile-nm] Andrew Cohill Explains Common Mistakes in Community Networks

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.com
Thu May 9 10:21:04 PDT 2013

Christopher Mitchell recently interviewed Andrew Cohill.
Both are subscribers to this list, and as some of you know,
I have long worked with Andrew and Design Nine, Inc.
I recommend that you take 18 minutes to listen to the interview.
RL
---------

Andrew Cohill Explains Common Mistakes in Community Networks

http://www.muninetworks.org/content/andrew-cohill-explains-common-mistakes-community-networks-community-broadband-bits-45

This is a show I have been wanting to do for years - discussing some of
the common mistakes that have been make by community owned networks.
Offering broadband and other telecommunications services is a difficult
business for any entity, public or private and all network owners make
mistakes. The vast majority of these errors can be and are fixed so the
network may carry on.

While in Dallas for the Broadband Communities Summit, I asked Design
Nine founder Andrew Cohill about common problems faced by community
owned networks and how to prepare for them or avoid them entirely.

We discuss how having a strong business plan is essential, with some of
the requirements that should be included. We agree that a reliance on
grant funding is a giant warning flag. We also discuss a number of other
things new networks should watch out for, especially overstaffing.

We want your feedback and suggestions for the show - please e-mail us
or leave a comment below. Also, feel free to suggest other guests,
topics, or questions you want us to address.

This show is 18 minutes long and can be played below on this page or
subscribe via iTunes or via the tool of your choice using this feed.
Search for us in iTunes and leave a positive comment!

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Dir.
1st-Mile Institute, 505-603-5200
P.O.Box 8001, Santa Fe, NM 87504
www.1st-mile.org  rl at 1st-mile.org