[1st-mile-nm] NTIA: EXPLORING THE DIGITAL NATION

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.com
Mon Jun 10 08:30:53 PDT 2013

A quick review of the maps and state numbers at the end of the
document, indicates that New Mexico is still ranked near last among all
states for broadband adoption and computer use (2011 Census data).
This is primarily true for rural areas, but is also an issue in our
urban areas.   It is interesting to compare NM with other large western
states, doing better.   It seems that there was no data for some
southern states (Arkansas, Mississippi) which do rank lower than NM.

I would urge our Governor, Legislators and communities to focus
dedicated attention on this problem and ways to address the challenge to
move forward, as it directly impacts jobs, education, healthcare and
other aspects of our eco-social well-being.

RL

-------

In a new report, Exploring the Digital Nation: America’s Emerging
Online Experience, the National Telecommunications and Information
Administration (NTIA) examines how Americans connect to the Internet and
what Americans do once they get online.

The report, co-authored with the Economics and Statistics
Administration, confirms the dramatic growth in the number of Americans
who are going online to perform important tasks like applying for jobs,
looking up health information, and learning about current events. The
new report, for the first time in eight years, explores how and why
Americans go online. It is based on the U.S. Census Bureau’s July 2011
Current Population Survey (CPS) Computer and Internet Use Supplement,
and includes information collected from 53,500 households. While most
Americans still used a desktop or laptop computer to go online in 2011,
mobile device use grew significantly, with more than a third of
Americans reporting that they used their mobile phones to access the
Internet. The report also found that almost all users who used the
Internet at home did so via a broadband connection.

The July 2011 CPS data collection gathered information on a broad range
of online activities. This report focuses primarily on three areas –
employment, health, and civic engagement – that are particularly
important for society. The CPS data suggest that widespread Internet use
benefits society, that mobile devices further increase these benefits,
and that the Internet’s great utility leads users to go online regularly
and rely on it in their daily lives.

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/report/2013/exploring-digital-nation-americas-emerging-online-experience

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Dir.
1st-Mile Institute, 505-603-5200