[1st-mile-nm] Navajo Nation opens Shiprock data center

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.com
Thu Aug 15 08:31:18 PDT 2013

Navajo data center to spread wireless Internet

Wednesday, August 14, 2013
http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/local_news/article_62678ffc-01dd-5c22-aa87-e4e847075e77.html?TNNoMobile
Associated Press

FARMINGTON — The Navajo Nation is in the final testing phases of a
project that will make wireless Internet available to a majority of
people on the vast reservation.

Tribal officials attending the opening of an $8 million commercial data
center on Tuesday recalled how a teenage girl who had won a laptop
computer in a school contest wasn’t able to connect to the Internet
because she had no phone line at home and how residents in isolated
communities climb mesas in search of cellphone service.

They opened up a laptop in the northwestern New Mexico community of
Shiprock, quickly connected to the Internet and played a video for the
audience, the Farmington Daily Times reported. Broadband service soon
should be accessible to 30,000 homes, 1,000 business and 1,100 community
institutions across the reservation.

“The Navajo Nation, like most rural areas, faces considerable
challenges regarding telecommunications services,” said Navajo Tribal
Utility Authority general manager Walter Haase. “With the opening of
this facility, we have set the stage to allow high-quality, reliable
telecommunications and data center services in the Navajo Nation that
will enable information and communication flow throughout the region.”

NTUA spokeswoman Deenise Becenti said Wednesday that Internet service
will be available to residents later this fall.

For now, businesses and organizations that want to rent server capacity
from the data center can do so.

The tribal authority partnered with a wholesale wireless provider in
2011 to upgrade telecommunications services on the Navajo Nation. The
tribe has majority ownership of the venture, NTUA Wireless LLC., while
Commnet Wireless owns the rest.

The agreement built on work the two entities did to secure $32 million
in stimulus funds for the $46 million high-speed network.

NTUA board chairman Sidney Bob Dietz II was skeptical at first of the
Navajo Nation getting into the telecommunications business, but now
envisions an economy bolstered by the project that also could provide
jobs for Navajo youth.

Tribal officials also have been touting anticipated benefits in health
care, education and emergency response services.

“We need these things for our young folks,” he said.

The 3G mobile and 4G broadband services was deployed east to west
across the reservation through hundreds of lines of new fiber optic
cables and dozens of microwave towers. The network blankets almost half
of the reservation’s 27,000 square miles.

Becenti said the goal is to further strengthen the network by
continuing to build it out and “reach the pockets we didn’t get to.”

-------

Navajo Nation opens Shiprock data center
Facility promises to connect Navajos

By Chuck Slothower The Daily Times

Updated:   08/14/2013

http://www.daily-times.com/four_corners-news/ci_23856468/navajo-nation-opens-shiprock-data-center?IADID=Search-www.daily-times.com-www.daily-times.com

(See article for photos)

SHIPROCK — When President Bill Clinton visited Shiprock in April 2000,
he met a 13-year-old Navajo girl who had won a laptop computer through a
school contest. The president was stunned to learn that the girl could
not connect to the Internet because she had no phone line at home, and
wireless access was a distant dream.

At the opening of the Navajo Nation's new data center on Tuesday,
officials opened a laptop on stage, quickly connected to the Internet
and played a YouTube video without a hitch.

"Bill Clinton's dream is finally realized," said Walter Haase, general
manager of the Navajo Tribal Utility Authority.

The NTUA on Tuesday hosted an invitation-only event at the secure data
center in Shiprock. The $8 million facility will spread wireless
Internet access to 70 percent of the Navajo population living on the
reservation, tribal officials said.

"We also wanted to be able to connect areas that were not profitable or
less profitable," Haase said.

The Navajo Nation retains control by owning 51 percent of the project
through NTUA. Commnet Wireless owns the rest.

Arviso Construction Co. of Fort Wingate, a construction company owned
by a Navajo family, was the lead contractor.

The data center is open for business to organizations that wish to rent
server capacity from the NTUA.

"Clearly it's for the Navajo Nation as the data center, but it's for
the Four Corners as well," said Mike Hazel, NTUA division manager.

Navajo President Ben Shelly said it's important for the tribe to
maintain open markets on the reservation.

"I don't want to have one enterprise monopolize the Navajo Nation,"
Shelly said. "It's wrong."

He said the data center points to a more diverse business environment.

"We are now a technology nation, not just an energy nation," he said.

The data center is the only of its kind in the region. Located behind
the NTAU's office building, the data center is surrounded by razor wire
and has numerous other security features. The server room is kept at a
constant temperature of 65 degrees and humidity is kept at 40 to 60
percent.

NTAU board chairman Sidney Bob Dietz II said he was skeptical of the
project at first.

"I was the most reluctant of any (board member) to go into the telecom
business," he said. "I felt it might be outside our wheelhouse."

Dietz said he came around to the notion that the data center could spur
economic development on the reservation and provide jobs for talented
Navajo youths.

"We need these things for our young folks," he said. "We don't want
them to leave and go to California like me or (Washington), D.C. or
wherever they might go."

Johnny Naize, speaker of the Navajo Nation Council, recalled how
residents of his isolated chapter, Tselani/Cottonwood, southwest of
Chinle, Ariz., once climbed mesas in search of cell phone service before
Cellular One built a site on an existing tower in the area.

Elderly residents are clamoring for Internet service, he said.

"It's our lifeline," Naize said.

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Dir.
1st-Mile Institute, 505-603-5200
P.O.Box 8001, Santa Fe, NM 87504