[1st-mile-nm] Southwest Colorado Access Network

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.com
Mon Sep 9 12:49:15 PDT 2013

Regional Internet project nearly done: Network should be live by
January

http://durangoherald.com/article/20130830/NEWS01/130839957/0/s/Regional-Internet-project-nearly-done

By Chuck Slothower
Durango Herald Staff Writer
Friday, August 30, 2013

A 3-year-old project to enhance Internet connectivity throughout
Southwest Colorado is nearly complete, officials said Friday.

The Southwest Colorado Access Network links government buildings in
Durango, Pagosa Springs, Cortez, Silverton, Dolores and Dove Creek with
high-speed Internet. Hospitals, schools and other entities have jumped
aboard. And private Internet service providers have added wireless
towers to the government-funded infrastructure to reach even more users.

The project is in various stages of completion throughout the region.
Rick Smith, general manager of SCAN and mayor of Bayfield, said the
physical infrastructure should be in place by November, and the network
should be live by January.

“It’s expanding connectivity throughout the region,” Smith said.

SCAN was funded by a $3 million grant from the Colorado Department of
Local Affairs and $1 million in matching funds from local governments.

The Department of Local Affairs is looking at SCAN as a model for
expanding Internet access to rural areas of the state.

“The department, I would say, took a leap of faith with this project,
and you guys have responded well,” said Ken Charles, regional manager
for the Department of Local Affairs.

Reeves Brown, the department’s Denver-based executive director, said he
was impressed by the project’s apparent success. Brown was in Durango on
Friday to meet with the Board of County Commissioners and city
officials.

“More than connecting buildings, you’ve connected people, you’ve
connected institutions,” Brown said.

The project laid broadband Internet around the region, but some remote
areas, including Silverton, will rely on wireless connections.

Internet service providers have piggybacked off the project. For
example, SkyWerx of Pagosa Springs built a 100-foot tower on Reservoir
Hill to reach more residents, said Jeffrey Gavlinski, SkyWerx director
of sales and marketing.

The available public infrastructure allows Internet service providers
to put their money into improving their services instead of installing
fiber, said John Monday, director of network engineering and operations
for Durango’s FastTrack Communications.

“The ability to expand our network, expand our bandwidth – our
resources are going to be redirected toward that,” Monday said.

Broadband Internet is as important now as paved roads were in an
earlier era, said Brown. “I view broadband as the asphalt of this
century.”

(snip)

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Dir.
1st-Mile Institute, 505-603-5200