[1st-mile-nm] Congress takes on Telecommunications Act & FCC 2104 Agenda

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.com
Mon Jan 13 21:17:59 PST 2014

Two big national telecommunications issues and agendas are kicking off
the new year.
Congress is going to take on the Telecommunications Act, last revised
in 1996, and the FCC is now being led by Chairman Tom Wheeler, who has
just laid out their agenda for 2014.

Following are links to a Benton Foundation posting on the context,
process and critical issues to be addressed in a new Telecommunications
Act.   There will be calls for public and other sector input.   This
will likely be a compromised process and outcomes once again, but will
have major bearing on our national, state and local broadband networking
future.

"The Five Questions"   http://benton.org/node/171984

A few days ago, Chairman Wheeler presented:
"Adapting Regulatory Frameworks to 21st Century Networks and Markets"
www.fcc.gov/blog/adapting-regulatory-frameworks-21st-century-networks-and-markets

We'll follow these issues and initiatives as they develop and as
relevant to the State, localities and people of NM.

RL

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Dir.
1st-Mile Institute, 505-603-5200
P.O.Box 8001, Santa Fe, NM 87504