[1st-mile-nm] Kit Carson Electric Coop: Broadband Status

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.org
Mon Mar 17 16:52:17 PDT 2014

Following is a short update from Luis Reyes on the KCEC fiber initiative that received ARRA awarded funding, and that was reported on here a few days ago.    Interlinking with the REDI Net to its south, this fiber network has the likely potential for important, example-setting economic and social benefits for the people, institutions, businesses and communities of its north-central New Mexico service area.

"Our fiber project is overall 66% complete.  About 80% of the backbone and network has been built and we are just starting to run the fiber drops to the homes and businesses.  We have retained Fijitsu for the electronics and the headend and that portion should be complete by April 21, 2014.  We will then be delivering services to Northern Taos County or the most underserved on April 21, 2014.  Our goal by the end of the year is to have service available to 80% of our entire membership."

RL

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Director
1st-Mile Institute          www.1st-mile.org
P. O.  Box 8001, Santa Fe, NM    87504