[1st-mile-nm] Service in SE corner of Bernalillo County

John Badal JBadal at sacred-wind.com
Thu Mar 12 10:37:43 PDT 2015

Kevin,

If you delete on the map all the types of broadband providers serving  the East Mountains (along old State Rte 14), then click on Wireless, then Fixed Wireless, you'll see something interesting that occurs everywhere depicted on the state BBd map:  the map shows universal coverage of broadband by wireless as if topography has no play at all in the service.  A propagation map depicting merely the radius of a wireless signal , without consideration  of the terrain, will not provide accurate information about the reach of the signal or the strength of the signal.  I discount the assertions by wireless companies that they can provide XX amount of bandwidth unless true wave propagation is shown.  For example, the one good fixed wireless company that I'm familiar with in the east mountains, shooting from Sandia Peak, is NMSurf.  But even they cannot provide service through the trees that surround homes in San Pedro Creek and portions of Paa-ko, or violate the physics of a Frenzel Zone,  unless far taller subscriber masts are used, which the company doesn't normally provide. The bbnd map, too, shows DSL available -- that's fine but customers out there are well aware that 1.5Mbps is their limit.

John