[1st-mile-nm] NM Broadband Task Force

Nan Rubin nanrubin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 12:12:11 PDT 2015

As you know, the NM Public Regulation Commission just set up a Broadband
Task Force to look into how to improve BB service around the state,
especially increasing speeds where there is BB, and bringing it to parts of
the state where there is none.

Since broadband access has come up repeatedly down here, I nominated myself
to serve on this TF based on my long experience working on this issue as it
has evolved.

Yesterday I got an email from Charlie Ferrell, Co-Chair of the TF, letting
me know the first meeting will be on Thursday at 9:00a in Santa Fe.

I called him to confirm, and yes, I am indeed now a TF member!
--   There are 18 TF members in addition to the people on the Steering
Committee
 --  The only other TF member from Dona Ana County is someone from Comcast
(figures)
 --   I am being assigned to the Policy working group (yay!)
 --   The work is supposed to be completed by May 27, so it's a fast
turnaround.

The first meeting is Thursday, and  I will be able to call it in along with
many others. Meanwhile, Charlie said they were preparing materials that
will be sent out tomorrow, including a roster of members.

I thought you'd be interested.  I'll report back as this takes shape.  (and
see how long before the process succumbs to NM power politics...)

If this isn't fun, at the very least it will be interesting!

best,
Nan

*Nan Rubin*
*Community Media Services*
917-656-0886 [*Rocky Mountain Time Zone!!!]*
4093 Calle de Estrellas
Las Cruces, NM  88012
www.nanrubin.net