[1st-mile-nm] NM Broadband Task Force

Michael Harris mharris at visgence.com
Sun Apr 12 20:18:18 PDT 2015

> Other than John Brown and John Badal
> Who else on this list has ever run an isp or even knows what a payroll is
> and what a 941 is?  Who on this list knows anything about routing a packet

Myself, for one, and a few other lurkers on this list, for sure!

People who are actually doing something should be the people solicited for
> ideas/advice.

Agreed. So here are my ideas:

Adding carrier-neutral fiber ducts into rights-of-way is a good idea. At
the very least, I don't see how it can hurt. The cost of empty conduit is
almost nothing, so might as well put it in while the hole is open. I recall
that NMSU had a similar policy... I know they have some people lurking on
this list, so maybe they can comment on its effectiveness.

I've worked in the local Qwest engineering office and have been in the WISP
industry for a few years, so here are some of my thoughts:

   - It is hard to build business cases in rural and even some "urban"
   areas. Small WISPS are more nimble and willing to do it than big telcos,
   but have their own unique risk models.
   - "Minimum bandwidth" requirements are well intentioned, but I don't see
   how they could possibly be enforceable.
   - Related - Drawing an accurate broadband map is going to be an
   interesting challenge!
   - The big carriers (Cogent, Century Link, Level3, Comcast) are reluctant
   and slow to do construction, even in "metro" areas.
   - Obtaining ROW can be difficult
   - Digging is expensive
   - "First-mile" wireless is a good solution in a lot of cases, but it is
   not magic
   - A small WISP or independent ISP can get more mileage out of $100k than
   a big telco can with $1M
   - Providing more information/subsidized assistance (i.e. grant writing
   consultants) to regional ISPs to apply for federal, state grants would be
   very helpful

--
Michael Harris