[1st-mile-nm] NM Broadband Task Force

Clarke, George, DoIT george.clarke at state.nm.us
Mon Apr 13 07:54:29 PDT 2015

BROADBANNONUTS:

I am appreciative that there are those on the list who have run an ISP, know a payroll, and have sleuthed through a 941.  However, broadband implementation is more than a construction project.  The planning, design, funding, and development requires a large number of talents and "wants" a collaborative framework.  Of importance is Digital Literacy or Broadband Education\Training that can be morphed into a "Marketing" element to any ISP's Business Model.  The New Mexico Broadband Program (NMBBP) has identified that establishing "relevancy" that targets the consumer's "community" (health, senior, education, tribal, e-commerce, e-governance, etc.) and identifying specific applications increases use.

The NMBBP has established a site for these types of activities that we hope to "sustain" and provide to you 941ers, the public, government, and other businesses as an instrument to direct your customers and/or potential customers to an environment that can establish that "relevancy".    We've not formally launched this site, yet maybe this is that.  Please click and go to:

  - CONNECT NEW MEXICO:  http://nmconnect.org/

NMBBP Mapping:  Back some weeks there was some chatter about the New Mexico Broadband Map.  We've been a bit busy as are funding ended late January, we had hopes for legislation to continue, and now are scrambling to sustain a program that has had widespread support due to the "relevancy" of our work.  Final close out is at the end of April.  Regardless, I'll be responding to what's behind the making of the NM Map.  For now simple to say that that map is the best there is in the Universe for New Mexico. The data presented are only as good as what we get from the provider. Of note, some of the providers refused to play.  So, they are not on the map.  I'll explain the process which is rather impressive from an analytical perspective.  The PRC Task Force will be utilizing this and other products from the NMBBP in the development of their recommendations.

Now of note, I do have one out of three.  I've run a business and a payroll......Be well, Gar Clarke

Gar Clarke
NM Geospatial and Broadband Program Manager
Agency Tribal Liaison
Department of Information Technology
Simms Building
715 Alta Vista Street