[1st-mile-nm] Rural Libraries and Broadband Adoption

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.org
Mon Apr 13 10:15:30 PDT 2015

Lillian,
As you likely know, libraries have been and continue to be primary
community information-access and knowledge-building centers, with
the ALA having been a leading advocate since the early Internet days.
In rural communities, libraries are a safe, trusted, helpful place for all;
children, elders, those with handicaps, the poor and more.   Libraries
have an important ongoing role to play as the net evolves technically,
and as the digital divide evolves with growing economic fragilities and
disparities in urban and rural communities.

A major problem is that libraries are under-supported for their evolving
role and tasks, needing trained staff and systems (desktop  and mobile).
Incumbent providers and ISPs ought to have an incentive to support
libraries and community learning centers, if their efforts lead to new
network subscribers.   Local .gov and schools should also partner to
support libraries, as the results are of benefit to the community common
good.    Maintaining metrics on this can help make the case.

Richard

505-603-5200                 rl at 1st-mile.org