[1st-mile-nm] Santa Fe Open Fiber: PR + Photos

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.org
Wed Apr 15 12:40:52 PDT 2015

Mayor, Councilors, Chamber Launch Installation of Open-Access Broadband Infrastructure

Public-Private partnership will open up competition, boost business and private internet speed and affordability

April 15, 2015

For Immediate Release

Contact: Matt Ross, PIO; (505) 955-6045, mross at santafenm.gov

Santa Fe, NM – At a short groundbreaking ceremony this morning, Mayor Javier M. Gonzales, joined by Councilors Peter Ives, Signe Lindell, and Joseph Maestas, as well as Simon Brackley, the President of the Santa Fe Chamber of Commerce, launched the installation of open-access broadband internet infrastructure in Santa Fe.

This is the culmination of a multi-year project to connect Santa Fe’s internet market to faster speeds with a broader range of options. The project is anticipated to lower wholesale costs, creating competition among retail providers that will lower costs and increase speed to parity with regional cities including Albuquerque.

For details on the program, including the local company that is managing the project, and the expected benefits, please see the attached memorandum from Special Projects Administrator Sean Moody.

The statements below are taken directly from remarks at the press conference:

“When we talk about growing an economy that works for all Santa Fe, an economy that works in the 21st century, you have to have infrastructure that is competitive with any place in the world. This project is about making sure that our people have access to infrastructure that will truly unleash the potential of our entrepreneurs.”
-       Mayor Javier M. Gonzales

“Santa Fe is a city that always puts equality at the forefront, and today we’re striking a blow for the ability of our businesses to be on equal footing with businesses around the world. To our educational institutions and our businesses as well as our residents, this will be a big boost.”
-       Mayor Pro Tem Peter Ives

“The Business and Quality of Life Committee is looking at the whole picture for Economic Development, that includes prioritizing infrastructure necessary to enable industries that create good jobs. This was a priority for the business community and its critical to our future growth. This is a key first step.”
-       Councilor Signe Lindell

“It’s not every day that city government can leverage $1 million that translates into job creation and lower broadband  prices, so the potential here is tremendous. It’s going to open so many doors and create so many opportunities for our community.”
-       Councilor Joseph Maestas

“This is an exciting day for Santa Fe businesses. Today is the result of two years of conversations and a true public-private partnership to improve the business environment in Santa Fe. This collaboration is going to help startup businesses, it’s going to help existing businesses, it’s going to help people who work from home, it’s going to improve Santa Fe’s connection to the rest of the world. And Cyber Mesa as the provider here is a local company that has done a tremendous job of negotiating the regulations and making this happen today.”
-       President Simon Brackley, Santa Fe Chamber of Commerce

###

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Director
1st-Mile Institute          www.1st-mile.org
P. O.  Box 8001, Santa Fe, NM    87504