[1st-mile-nm] FW: NDIA: National Digital Inclusion Alliance - Membership

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.org
Mon Nov 9 13:24:12 PST 2015

FROM: NDIA at groupspaces.com [mailto:NDIA at groupspaces.com] ON BEHALF OF
Angela Siefer
SENT: Thursday, November 05, 2015 7:31 AM
TO: ndia at groupspaces.com
SUBJECT: [NDIA] Recruiting New NDIA Affiliates

Dear NDIA Affiliates,

The more affiliates we have the stronger our voice is. Please help grow
NDIA by passing around the below information to folks you think might be
interested. Note the list of what we have accomplished in only 6 months!

JOIN NATIONAL DIGITAL INCLUSION ALLIANCE!

The National Digital Inclusion Alliance [1] (NDIA) is an affiliate
organization of leaders of local government, community organizations,
public libraries and other institutions committed to reducing digital
disparities among our neighbors. To improve the daily lives of all
community members, we call for widespread and actionable digital
inclusion public policies that reflect what we've learned from
experience.

  Broadband adoption is most effectively promoted by community-driven
efforts that combine:

  	* Affordable home broadband service.
	* Public broadband access.
	* Locally trusted technology training and support.

We work collaboratively to craft, identify and disseminate financial and
operation resources for digital inclusion programs while serving as a
bridge to policy makers and the general public.

Membership is free! [2]

Now, more so than ever before, the federal government is actively
working to increase broadband access and use and NDIA is representing
local broadband adoption practitioners in that work.

  	* The FCC is modernizing the Lifeline Program, focused on a low-cost
broadband subsidy for low-income consumers. NDIA submitted comments to
the FCC on August 31, 201 [3]5 and reply comments to the FCC on
September 30, 2015 [4].
	* The FCC is showing signs of wanting to address all three barriers of
broadband adoption, including through the recent Digital Inclusion
Roundtable in Detroit led by Chairman Tom Wheeler and Commission Mignon
Clyburn. NDIA Director, Angela Siefer, was the only national
representative invited to that roundtable.
	* The White House engaged 25 federal agencies in the Broadband
Opportunity Council. NDIA responded to their request for comments [5],
was cited five times in the resulting Broadband Opportunity Council
Report and Recommendation [6] and was invited to a White House meeting
to discuss the recommendations.
	* NDIA recruited the majority of the practitioners and policymakers
presenting at the Partnership for Progress on the Digital Divide
Conference (October 2015), consisting of 30% of presentations, including
two of the three keynote speakers.

Angela Siefer

Director

National Digital Inclusion Alliance [7]

614-537-3057

Links:
------
[1] http://www.digitalinclusionalliance.org
[2] http://www.digitalinclusionalliance.org/members/
[3]
http://www.digitalinclusionalliance.org/blog/2015/8/31/ndia-comments-to-fcc-lifeline-modernization
[4]
http://www.digitalinclusionalliance.org/blog/2015/10/1/lifeline-reply-comments
[5]
digitalinclusionalliance.org:blog:2015:6:10:ndia-comments-to-broadband-opportunity-council
[6] http://www.digitalinclusionalliance.org/blog/boc-report-2015
[7] http://digitalinclusionalliance.org/

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Director
1st-Mile Institute     505-603-5200