[1st-mile-nm] Fwd: Broadband in LC

Gary Gomes ggomes at soundviewnet.com
Mon Feb 8 14:41:04 PST 2016

It seems to me that the concern you cite has a number of solutions.

The simplest "answer" is to state up front that the conduit capacity is fixed and charge on a basis that recoups costs and encourages the highest bandwidth utilization.  If there is concern over the sizing of the conduit, bids for access rights could be solicited before construction. I do want to caveat, however, that I don't think that the state or local governments should be in the business of funding and providing all fiber conduit, but over-time the "as we build roads" element could have substantial impact.

An alternative might be for the governmental entity to invite bids for conduit installation at time of roadway work (when digging costs are minimum) and ongoing maintenance and a requirement to make capacity available on a non-discriminatory bases.

In any event, as you said, there are ways to encourage broadband t other than tax abatement that could provide a bigger bang for the buck.

Gary