[1st-mile-nm] 50 States of Broadband

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.org
Fri Apr 15 11:16:22 PDT 2016

Attached is a recent (April 4) first-draft report on "The 50 States of
Broadband":
A State-by-State Study on the State of Broadband Investment and Activity
in Each American State,
produced by Strategic Networks Group (SNG) in partnership with the Rural
Telecommunications Congress (RTC).

Of interest to this list, is that New Mexico is ranked first among all
states, based on survey questions and indicators.

As New Mexico is usually ranked near last among all states for broadband
access, adoption, use and affordability, this new report might be taken
with some skepticism.   I personally know the authors and groups that
produced the report, as we were all at the Broadband Communities Summit
in Austin last week, and briefly discussed the findings.

NM DoIT's State Broadband Office and staff are doing good work, and did
get renewed legislative funding for ongoing project efforts.   It might
be worthwhile to better understand the disparities in assessment and
conclusions between this and other analyses, with better on-the-ground
determinations over the next year, so as to better focus on strategic
low-cost actions and initiatives.

I urge comments about this on the list to be on productive ways forward,
rather than simply offering criticism.

RL

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Director
1st-Mile Institute     505-603-5200