[1st-mile-nm] Lujan: Libraries + Innovation

Cirrus Consulting cirrus.ed.consulting at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 12:23:21 PST 2017

New Mexicans do indeed need more opportunities for access to innovative
technology and its applications, and maker-spaces located in local
libraries could be a step towards such opportunity.  But without the
support of human capital within those libraries, to maintain and manage
sophisticated devices and to support the public in their application, this
equipment will likely fall into disuse even before it becomes obsolete.

While technology and hardware are undeniably critical elements of
developing digital innovation and talent, we tend all too often to overlook
the equally important element of staffing, which provides the maintenance,
technical support, and user learning that ultimately make programs such as
maker-spaces successful.  These human resources are especially critical in
rural and under-served communities, regions that have the most to gain from
such programs but in which broadband adoption and technical skills are
likely to be lowest and the need for support to be high.  With ongoing cuts
to state budgets, and federal spending likely to decrease with the incoming
administration, staff at public institutions such as libraries will face
even greater pressure to do more with less.  Any maker-space programs, or
similar technology-based innovation plans, should include dedicated funding
for human resources to supply maintenance, technical support, and user
learning as part of their strategy for long-term success.

Eva Artschwager

--
Eva Artschwager, M.A.
Outreach and Community Engagement