[1st-mile-nm] LFC: Rural Broadband Aggregation

John Brown john at citylinkfiber.com
Thu Jan 26 09:38:52 PST 2017

P3 requires communities (the public side) to actually be willing to
actively engage and execute.

CABQ had a P3 proposal that would have save it $2.0 Million a year
forever, saved APS $4.9 million a year forever and reduce healthcare
telecom costs,
provided WiFi at every City Park, enhanced first responder wireless
broadband network, and bring competitive gigabit service to the
citizens.
In 5+ years CABQ hasn't figured out how to actively engage or execute.

Not sure how you legislate to force a public entity to engage in a P3........

The state could do a couple of simple things that would enhance the
ability of additional investment.

1. Create a single state wide RoW / Franchise process so that entities
don't have to goto hundreds of muni's to get RoW.

2. Create State run Pole Attachment rules that further support and
enhance existing Federal Laws.  Pole Attachment is critical and is one
the most painful things     to get executed with pole owners (telecom,
electrical, etc)

3. Not game procurement rules that BLOCK and PROHIBIT innovative and
successful broadband companies from responding to State RFP/RFB