[1st-mile-nm] NM HB-57 / SB-53

John Brown john at citylinkfiber.com
Wed Feb 1 13:31:17 PST 2017

These don't really help any new entrant to the market.
We seem to be captured still by the concept of "wire centers", when
those really don't exist or will not exist soon.
Voice is mostly a over the top service today, Interconnected VoIP.
The PRC still has not consumer protection authority for Interconnected
VoIP based services.

Nothing in these bills provides relief in areas that could materially
impact and ATTRACT new providers
of broadband services to our state.  Namely:

1. Unified and Single Stop Rights of Way access.  Today a provider
must negotiate hundreds of different agreements
to make use of ROW in our state.  Highly Costly and Huge time waste ==
 Barrier to Entry

2.State control of Pole Attachment rules.   Today to get a Pole
Attachment agreement can take years,
even though there are federal rules stating the pole owners MUST do
it.   Current Pole Owners drag their feet
and have no desire to actually execute in a reasonable and timely
manner.   Barrier to Entry.