[1st-mile-nm] NM Legislature: NM Tech Council

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.org
Wed Mar 29 08:48:51 PDT 2017

NMTC Policy Update

Forwarded from the NM Tech Council:

The 2017 New Mexico Legislative Session has come to a close, and though
we are still awaiting bills to be signed by Governor Martinez, we would
like to provide you with a few updates.

NMTC monitored and supported several pieces of legislation during the
session, and many of those bills are now on the Governor’s desk or have
been signed into law. The Governor has until April 7th to sign
legislation. We will keep you updated as we have further updates. Below
are some of the bills we are currently watching.

SIGNED LEGISLATION INTO LAW

House Bill 60 (Broadband Infrastructure): Adds infrastructure for new
broadband telecommunications network facilities to the definition of
“economic development project” eligible for funding in the Local
Economic Development Act.

House Bill 113 (CIO to develop Statewide Broadband Network): Requires
the state’s Chief Information Officer (CIO) (Department of Information
Technology, DoIT) to develop and maintain a statewide, multipurpose,
high-capacity scalable telecommunications and broadband network to meet
the demand of state agencies, political subdivisions and educational
institutions. The mandate is to be undertaken in partnership with the
Public Education Department, Higher Education Department, political
subdivisions, state universities and other educational institutions.

AWAITING SIGNATURE ON GOVERNOR’S DESK

House Bill 147 (Workforce Training Residency Requirement): Reduces the
residency requirement for trainees in the Workforce Development Training
Program, so long as high-wage jobs are guaranteed after the training
ends

Senate Bill 53 (PRC Jurisdiction over Local Exchanges "Telecom
Modernization"): Offers critically needed changes in the regulatory
environment of telecommunications and allows telecom companies to invest
more dollars toward new technologies and services, like broadband

Senate Bill 63 (Education Technology Improvement Uses): Clarifies the
types of education technology improvements that constitute allowable
capital improvements under the Public School Capital Improvements Act
and the Public School Buildings Act.

Senate Bill 308 (PRC to facilitate rural broadband service): Amends a
section of the Rural Telecommunications Act of New Mexico to update
State Rural Universal Service Fund provisions and establish a broadband
program administered by the Public Regulation Commission to facilitate
expansion of broadband service in rural areas.

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Director
1st-Mile Institute     505-603-5200
Box 8001, Santa Fe, NM 87504,
rl at 1st-mile.org     www.1st-mile.org