[1st-mile-nm] This is what a Gig looks like or Another Gig building in downtown ABQ

John Brown john at citylinkfiber.com
Thu May 11 17:19:54 PDT 2017

We would love to serve the Santa Fe market.  We get around 35 to 40
requests each week.
Either for fiber based or fixed wireless based services.
We have to decline them all because of the silly rules that Santa Fe
has in place.

Several years ago, when Santa Fe put out  a bid for a fiber project,
we submitted a proposal.
For the $1M in tax payer money we proposed a RING based system (redundancy).

Instead the City awarded the project to another company that:
a) had never built or operated an outside fiber plant / network
b) only built a straight line, no redundancy, no ring.

This was of course after spending 5 years attempting to get the City
to even engage and work
towards a franchise agreement.  We had to make a threat to sue the
City for failing to act on
our request.  Only then did the City respond, but in a way that cause
the City to get sued AGAIN by CenturyLink.  I might add that
CenturyLink was correct in litigating and defending its rights against
a poorly written set of rules from the City.

Then there are the City's wireless rules. If you read them and truly
follow them, then every WISP in Santa Fe should be filing for permits
and paying the fees.

So, if at some point City of Santa Fe, or its people, want to discuss
how to move forward, I'm all ears and willing to find a good solution.