[1st-mile-nm] Pole Attachment.... was Re: This is what a Gig looks like or Another Gig building in downtown ABQ

John Brown john at citylinkfiber.com
Thu May 11 18:01:55 PDT 2017

Hi John,

Yes, I saw that pop up and read it this morning.   The only place the
term "pole attachment" came up was under "Other".   They seem to be
mulling over what to do about pole attachment.

I believe a number of other providers around the country have executed
business plans and have been able to get REASONABLE pole attachment
agreements.  Now they are worried those might go away.

So Chairman Pai now has to figure out how to gut Wheeler's Net
Neutrality order, but not actually cause end users to get
disconnected, or business models to fail.  That would be a
political nightmare since the Pai FCC wants to be "light touch'.

Personally I believe its pretty simple:
If you are a provider of broadband services, a 477 filer, or a 499
filer (even de minimis), then you have rights to the poles and the
pole owners must negotiate in a timely and good faith manner. For
those that do not, the FCC can levy sanctions and other economic
penalties.

What I found interesting here in NM / ABQ, is that one pole owner
presented us with a very cobbled together agreement, as if they had
never done a pole attachment agreement in their life. Come on
folks!!!!!   This has been a common practice since, umm, 1996 with
CLEC's !!!    Take the same language and modify it slight for
"Broadband Provider" and move on.

A pole attachment agreement should spell out reasonable technical, safety,
economic, and liability requirements that follow existing Federal rules.
It does NOT need to be complicated.

>>> 1st-mile-nm at mailman.dcn.org