[1st-mile-nm] FCC Blog Posting on Tribal Outreach

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.org
Mon Jun 5 13:43:24 PDT 2017

Heading Together Toward the Future

https://www.fcc.gov/news-events/blog/2017/06/02/heading-together-toward-future

June 2, 2017 - 3:12 pm
By Ajit Pai | FCC Chairman

My post introducing the FCC’s infrastructure initiatives a few weeks ago
mentioned Marty McFly’s misguided worries about running out of road in
the 1985 film “Back to the Future.” As you might remember, Dr. Brown
assured Marty that roads wouldn’t be needed in the future.

The wireless networks of the future too will look very different.
Instead of just big towers that intermittently dot the landscape, the
wireless networks of our future will rely on much smaller building
blocks—things like “small cells” and “distributed antenna systems.”
These new kinds of infrastructure take up much less space. They are
generally much less noticeable. They impact the environment less. And
because they operate at lower power, they will be deployed at many more
locations than towers.

As we move from the networks of today to those of tomorrow, the FCC
wants to work collaboratively with everyone affected—particularly Tribal
partners. That’s why, later this month, I’ll hit the road to discuss
this transition with Tribal Nations. Some FCC coworkers and I have been
kindly invited to attend the Mid-Year Session of the National Congress
of American Indians (NCAI), which is the “oldest, largest, and most
representative American Indian and Alaska Native organization” serving
Tribal interests. We’ll be participating in consultation sessions with a
number of Tribes (and in addition to these NCAI sessions, dedicated FCC
staff are already doing outreach to Tribes on both conference calls and
visits to Indian Country).

The FCC has a long and successful history of working with Tribes on a
wide range of issues affecting Indian Country. These relationships led
us to create a groundbreaking system, the Tower Construction
Notification System (TCNS). This is an online system that notifies
federally recognized Tribes, Native Hawaiian Organizations, and State
Historic Preservation Officers about proposed wireless construction
projects. The TCNS is widely acknowledged by Tribal Nations, industry,
and other government entities as an important, effective tool to help
ensure that these projects respect historic properties of religious and
cultural significance to Tribes.

The rules, protocols, and practices governing TCNS were crafted more
than a decade ago, and as I mentioned earlier, advances in wireless
networks are proceeding apace. It’s a challenge to match the two, but
the FCC is aiming to do that in order to modernize our rules and close
the digital divide. I’m excited to discuss this initiative with our
Tribal partners. Going forward—just as in the past—we want to ensure
that potential effects on culturally significant sites are identified
and alternatives to avoid or minimize such effects are considered.

I believe that the FCC and Tribal Nations share the same goal—ensuring
high-speed Internet access to anyone who wants it, while respecting and
preserving sites with historic, religious, and cultural significance to
Tribes. To achieve this goal, the FCC needs to and wants to exchange
perspectives with Tribes on the full range of issues associated with the
deployment of wireless broadband infrastructure. I’m personally
committed to that.

I invite the leaders of the 567 federally-recognized Tribes and Native
Hawaiian Organizations to join this important conversation. The FCC
takes seriously its federal trust responsibilities and wants to have
meaningful consultations. I look forward to listening, learning, and
working together to sustain and improve our processes as our wireless
networks go back to the future.

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Director
1st-Mile Institute     505-603-5200
Box 8001, Santa Fe, NM 87504,