[1st-mile-nm] Fwd: NMTC Inspires Federal Bipartisan Legislation To Address Workforce Shortage In Tech

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.org
Tue Jul 11 14:31:19 PDT 2017

 From: NM Tech Council <news at nmtechcouncil.org>

HEINRICH, GARDNER INTRODUCE BIPARTISAN LEGISLATION TO ADDRESS WORKFORCE
SHORTAGE IN TECH INDUSTRY

CHANCE IN TECH ACT WILL HELP PROVIDE NEW MEXICO WORKERS FROM ALL
BACKGROUNDS WITH THE SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE THEY NEED TO FILL GOOD-PAYING
TECH JOBS

WASHINGTON, D.C. —Yesterday, U.S. Senators Martin Heinrich (D-N.M.)
and Cory Gardner (R-Colo.) introduced the Championing Apprenticeships
for New Careers and Employees in Technology (CHANCE in Tech) Act to
provide New Mexico workers from all backgrounds with the skills and
knowledge they need to fill good-paying tech jobs.

Now more than ever before, the U.S. economy is dependent on the
technology industry to create jobs and expand economic growth. In 2016
alone, the technology sector contributed more than $1 trillion to the
U.S. economy [2], employed more than 7 million workers, and added more
than 100,000 new jobs. Despite these impressive numbers, nationally,
during any given 90-day period, there can be more than 500,000 tech job
openings. In the fourth quarter of 2016, there were more than 2,000 tech
occupation job openings in New Mexico. Additionally, as Sandia and Los
Alamos National Labs prepare to fill over 5,000 vacancies, ensuring New
Mexicans can compete for tech jobs is critical. The average tech
industry wage in New Mexico is $85,200 a year, which is double the
average state wage.

“As the technology sector continues to grow in New Mexico and across
the country, we need to ensure that our students have the skills they
need to compete for these high-paying jobs,” said Senator Heinrich.
“By encouraging apprenticeship programs for the tech sector, we can
continue to strengthen the STEM pipeline and help New Mexico develop its
vibrant technology economy. This bill will connect students, training
programs, and community colleges in New Mexico to the growing tech
sector where jobs are opening up every day, and create a more prosperous
future for our state.”

“As the technology sector begins to play an even larger role in our
economy, it’s important our workforce has the necessary skills and
training to perform these jobs,” said Senator Gardner. “The
technology industry currently faces a workforce shortage and Congress
must work together to address this problem. This bipartisan legislation
is an innovative solution to address the workforce shortage and will
result in more Coloradans and Americans across the country receiving the
proper training to enter the technology industry. The next 100 years
will be defined by our ability to compete in the technology sector and
the CHANCE in Tech Act will help the United States remain the global
leader in technological developments.”

The CHANCE in Tech Act would create public-private partnerships to serve
as intermediaries between employers participating in registered
apprenticeship programs, industry and training partners, and government
entities. Each intermediary would assess and train potential
apprentices, lessening the regulatory burden on participating employers
by tracking success indicators and managing other reporting
requirements. The proposal would also establish a program to recognize
those high schools and community colleges providing exemplary IT
training and counseling. Collectively, this legislation will help to
better align workforce training with local and regional demands.

The bill was designed in partnership with the New Mexico Technology
Council, which is an association of about 150 businesses in New
Mexico’s technology business sector. Inspiration for the
apprenticeship program came from the New Mexico Information Technology
Apprenticeship Program (NMITAP). A branch of CNM Ingenuity, Inc., NMITAP
is developing apprenticeships in high-quality, high-growth careers in
information and health technology.

“New Mexico has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country,
yet companies in New Mexico are still struggling to find the skilled IT
talent they need. Programs such as the New Mexico IT Apprenticeship
Program, which has now been available in Central New Mexico for two
years, are giving states the opportunity to reduce the overall skill
gap, and begin to grow and develop their own local talent,” said Nyika
Allen, President and CEO of the New Mexico Technology Council. “We are
excited to support the CHANCE in Tech Act, which would assist in the
expansion of the IT Apprenticeship program to more parts of the
state.”

“Given our success in establishing the first Registered Apprenticeship
Program in Information Technology in New Mexico, we are excited about
this bill helping to continue our work in improving New Mexican's access
to better paying jobs, as well as assisting New Mexico employers in
filling the skills gap in IT,” said Sue Buffington, Director of the
New Mexico Information Technology Apprenticeship Program (NMITAP) at
Central New Mexico Community College.

U.S. Representatives Seth Moulton (D-Mass.), Jaime Herrera Beutler
(R-Wash.), Derek Kilmer (D-Wash.), and Mia Love (R-Utah) introduced the
CHANCE in Tech Act in the House.

For more information about the New Mexico IT Apprenticeship Program
please visit: https://nmitap.org

  _Copyright © 2017 New Mexico Technology Council, All rights reserved._

Links:
------
http://mailchi.mp/nmtechcouncil/nmtc-inspires-federal-bipartisan-legislation-to-address-workforce-shortage-in-tech?e=b4a470801b

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Director