[1st-mile-nm] ISOC: Indigenous Connectivity Summit

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.org
Sat Aug 5 12:48:05 PDT 2017

Greetings,
I'm very excited to post the following (preliminary/draft) announcement,
and you are first to receive it.

A few notes:   This is confirmed.  We are now working on the details:
program structure and agenda, invitees and presenters; logistics +.
An ISOC web site and formal announcement are coming soon.

There will most likely be pre-summit programs (site visits, training,
arts +)
on Mon. and Tues. Nov. 6 and 7.   I expect that the gathering of
indigenous
networkers from north america and beyond, will be most inspiring and a
start
to some next-step efforts.

I also wonder if it might be worthwhile and timely to have a pragmatic
regional working meeting on tribal/native networking, on Friday, Nov. 10
?
I think it could be very productive.

I'd like to hear from you.   About interest in the program; about
wanting
to be involved or of help; to offer suggestions, or to be a
sponsor/supporter.

Let me know.
Richard

---------------

Indigenous Connectivity Summit

Save the date: November 8 to 9, 2017

The Internet is a hallmark of human innovation, but many Indigenous
communities lack basic connectivity.  Internet access is increasingly a
lifeline to health, education and economic development for rural and
remote Indigenous communities across North America.
No-one should be left behind.

You are needed at the Indigenous Connectivity Summit at Hotel Santa Fe
on November 8 to 9, 2017 in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Conference attendance
is free. Stay tuned for pre- and post-conference announcements.

The Indigenous Connectivity Summit will showcase success stories of
Indigenous community networks in Canada, the United States and around
the globe to help find solutions to bridge the digital divide. We’ll
explore the issues and themes around community network development and
sustainability in a two-day series of panels, presentations and
discussions.

Who should participate?

We need everyone on board. The Indigenous Connectivity Summit will
gather community network managers/operators, Indigenous-owned Internet
service providers, community members, youth, researchers, policy makers,
and Indigenous leadership to join the conversation. We’ll discuss ways
to ensure Alaska Native, Native American, Inuit, First Nations, and
Métis communities have affordable, high-quality and sustainable Internet
access, and how it can support social, cultural, and economic vitality.

Stay tuned for more details about the event and how to participate
online.
For more information, please contact ics at isoc.org .

The Indigenous Connectivity Summit is an initiative of the Internet
Society, the Internet Society New Mexico Chapter, the 1st-Mile
Institute, and the Community Learning Network.

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Director
1st-Mile Institute     505-603-5200
Box 8001, Santa Fe, NM 87504,
rl at 1st-mile.org     www.1st-mile.org