[1st-mile-nm] IEEE: 5G is in Danger of Being Oversold

Jane Coffin coffin at isoc.org
Fri Mar 2 09:46:23 PST 2018

Hi All –

May I play devil’s advocate.  I am not from NM (but love it there).  I come from a rural coastal town in Maine.  Local uptake can often start out with entertainment, and shift once the network is better and/or the community realizes the value-add.  Note that we see this all over the world, and that entertainment content has been driving network infrastructure development in many parts of Sub-Saharan Africa, South East Asia, LAC, etc.  I take your point on subsidization, but think there is a good reason for public network infrastructure dev.  Why not subsidize the preliminary FTTH deployments with a long-range plan for community pay-back or just see it as worthwhile socio-economic dev?  We build and maintain roads at the State and local level…

2/ With you.  We helped a project in rural South Africa purchase a mast (cost was $2,600.00).  They were quoted a monthly rental of $2,600.00 on an existing mast.  With the mast purchase, they expanded coverage and were able to shift to a hybrid not-for-profit/profit WISP.

Best,

Jane

Internet Society | www.internetsociety.org

Skype:  janercoffin