[1st-mile-nm] 5G - NYTimes

Doug Orr doug.orr at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 12:57:00 PST 2018

[Limiting myself to one comment :]

AIUI, by sheerest coincidence our state legislature is planning to charge
$250/pole.

I'm all in favor of the city/state not making money on broadband, fwiw, if
we're serious about expanding its availability.

That said, there's got to be a backhaul network, so there's still fiber
network(s) being laid to make this work. Comcast installers (according to
Glassdoor) make $18/hr so I don't see how you're changing the economics of
last 100' delivery. But, I guess, claiming you're improving local broadband
can justify wiring up tons of antennas that can later be used for mobile?

Last curmudgeon thought -- part of going mobile is moving processing "to
the edge". Those antennas are ugly and they may not be the end of what's
needed in your neighborhood for mobile to actually work.

Oh Agit, we're going to need a microscope to find your good points.

  Doug