[1st-mile-nm] (Telluride) Mountain Village, CO: Broadband Planning RFP

Richard Lowenberg rl at 1st-mile.org
Thu Jul 5 10:58:38 PDT 2018

The Town of Mountain Village, CO, above Telluride, has released
an RFP for a Broadband Assessment and Feasibility Study.

https://muninetworks.org/content/town-mountain-village-colorado-issues-rfp-responses-due-august-18

Thanks to MuniNetworks for this posting, and so many others.

I've been watching this call closely, as San Miguel County,
Town of Telluride and neighboring small communities are
considering paths towards a viable broadband networked future,
along with many other cities and towns in CO.   I was one of
the small planning team that initially designed the Mountain
Village beginning in the late 1970s, when we recommended
fiber conduit throughout, while constructing all other new
village infrastructure from the ground up; a bit too early
though.  Of note, however, by 1992 the Telluride Institute's
InfoZone project made this community the site of the first
rural Internet PoP in the world.   One hundred years earlier
(1891), this place was also the site of the first deployment
and demonstration of long distance AC power transmission in
the world.   It may be time to make history again.

I hope that some of the firms subscribing to this list will
consider submitting proposals.   Please keep me posted.

RL

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Director
1st-Mile Institute     505-603-5200
Box 8001, Santa Fe, NM 87504,