[1st-mile-nm] more on google fiber, 5g

Doug Orr doug.orr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 10:56:41 PDT 2018

HBR has an article
<https://hbr.org/2018/09/why-google-fiber-is-high-speed-internets-most-successful-failure>
that looks like part of the general 5g fluffing, extolling Google Fiber's
disruption. (Axios summary here
<https://www.axios.com/5g-lessons-google-fiber-502d466e-e05a-4a2c-98b6-f073c3216b16.html>
.)

Webpass and Starry both use millimeter band frequencies and seem to be
likely to have more customer density than 5g mobile (and seem more oriented
towards urban deployments). In any case, all they're solving is the last
100 yard problem, which is, presumably, more acute in high density
environments.

But...*everyone* still needs to put in a fiber backhaul to support more
high speed customers. So, I don't see how anyone's avoided the Google Fiber
problem HBR is citing?

Going to one device for mobile and home (and one bill) seems like a
significant change. Simplifying last 100' deployment doesn't.

I guess if you're dedicated to putting in fiber backhaul and that's
constant expense and maybe saving 10-20% per install is significant, if
you're expecting massive new installation numbers? Or maybe the economics
are only sensible in dense deployments and the whole
5g/Starry-to-smaller-market thing is a fiction?

Curious to see how this all works out.

  Doug