[Davis Democrats] invitation to book/activism club

Claire Black Slotton claire at iclaire.com
Wed Dec 8 15:52:03 PST 2004

Dear All,

The campaign leading up to November 2 was grueling, but even as we focused
on the work, I kept scanning the horizon for what would put the
progressives in this country back in wide spread power (even if Kerry had
won).  I remain convinced that the Left holds the answer for all Americans,
not just a privileged few.  I thought my next project might be media reform
or campaign finance reform.  I was looking for a "quick fix" to put us back
on an even playing field with the Radical Right who have apparently
hijacked our beautiful country.

Then, in late July, I heard George Lakoff speak on Bill Moyers' Now (on
PBS).  It was interesting.  I bought Lakoff's book, Don't Think of an
Elephant and read it soon after. I like it.  There is a lot of truth here.
This is not a quick fix, but instead a systemic fix, a whole shift in
thinking.   I am interested in starting a book/activism club and first
tackling this book - then we can figure out where to go next.

The first meeting of this new group is January 10, 2005, 7pm, at my home
512 Jerome Street in Davis.  I have copies of Don't Think of an Elephant
for $6 per copy (email me to make arrangements to get a copy from me).  If
you will join us on January 10, please let me know so that I can plan
accordingly.  If not, I can still get you copies of the book or include you
in future announcements about meetings if you want.  Please  read the book
before the first meeting.

I look forward to connecting with you about the book, the club or whatever
you are thinking will bring good liberal values back to the USA.

Best wishes,

Claire Black Slotton
YoloBeatBush.org and one of the Ladies
Claire at iClaire.com
(530) 756 2887

Edward Abbey once noted, "A patriot must always be ready to defend his
country from his government."